DSI Studio has a high version turning rate, and occasionally the computation outcome may be different between versions. I would recommend keeping a local copy of DSI Studio for each research project and updating DSI Studio every time a new project is initiated.
- 2020/08/02: Major revision on QA calculation. nQA is now replacing QA (https://groups.google.com/g/dsi-studio/c/t-kSFxXrGFU)
- 2023/06/28: Fiber tracking results will change because the default step size = 0 has a different implementation. Older versions will randomly select between 0.5 and 1.5 voxel spacing. The updated version will have 1.0 voxel spacing. To replicate older versions, set the step size to -1 in the command line. Fiber tracking with nonzero step size and correlation tracking is not affected.
- 2023/07/08: Tractography atlas is further separated into 5 sets of pathways. The GUI and command line interface for automated fiber tracking has been modified. The updated DSI Studio allows for the use of multiple tractography atlases.
- 2023/10/02: The Otsu’s threshold was updated to ignore zeros values in the background, as a result, the equivalent value will be slightly different if there are zeros in the background. The seeding region in automatic fiber tracking was updated to provide more comprehensive mapping. The previous version seeds within a more restricted region designated by the atlas and some branches may not be fully covered. The updated version will have a much larger seeding region to get better coverage.
Download and unzip to run the executive. No installation needed
|GPU version (recommended)
CPU version (if GPU does not work)
|Unzip the file and click on the DSI Studio program to run it.
If missing DLL files, install the VC package.
To use GPU, install CUDA Toolkit and update your graphic drivers.
|make sure to enable run permission.
|If showing error related to libQt6Charts, run
sudo apt install libqt6charts6-dev
If reporting error related to xcb, check out this solution.
previous versions before 2022 after 2022
docker run -ti --rm -e DISPLAY=$DISPLAY -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix -v $PWD:/data dsistudio/dsistudio:latest
$ singularity pull docker://dsistudio/dsistudio:latest # This creates a singularity container *.sif file from the latest release of DSI Studio. Make sure you keep a copy of the .sif file for your results
$ singularity exec -B /var,/run -B /home/server/folder dsistudio_latest.sif dsi_studio # Some cluster does not allow users to access the host drive, and you may need to mount folder into singularity container
$ singularity exec dsistudio_latest.sif dsi_studio # This invokes the graphic interface of DSI Studio
$ singularity exec dsistudio_latest.sif dsi_studio --action=rec --source=my.src.gz # call DSI Studio command line interface in the singularity container
DSI Studio is dual-licensed. You can pick one license or the other.
DSI Studio is free for academic or research purposes under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license.
A commercial license is available for using DSI Studio source code or its compiled executive program (i.e. dsi_studio.exe or dsi_studio). This license does not cover third-party tools, resources, or patents owned by other entities, such as:
- TinyFSL: using the FSL plugins needs FSL License.
- Alases: each atlas includes its own license or usage agreement. Most of them are free for both academic and commercial usage.
- Certain algorithms and functions within DSI Studio may be protected by patents. Therefore, it is crucial to be aware of potential patent restrictions when using DSI Studio for commercial purposes. To avoid possible copyright or patent infringement, please contact Frank Yeh to acquire the details.
To obtain the DSI Studio license for commercial use, please email email@example.com
Here is an example of a workstation for DSI Studio tractography:
- Chassis: Dell Precision 7920 Tower
- Processor: two CPUs of Intel Xeon Gold 6230 (2.1GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 20 Cores)
- Memory: 128GB RAM
- Graphics Card: NVidia Quadro RTX4000, 8GB
- Hard drive: 2TB SSD
- Operating System: Windows